[stylist] The Poet Biz

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:50:44 UTC 2014

Hey Gang,

Since I recently topped my goal of writing one hundred poems over the
last year, I've started thinking of submitting them to magazines and
contests.  More wildly still, I'm looking forward to publishing a slim
volume of my favorite stuff.  What I'd like to know is how do you go
about publishing a book of poetry?  Do you need to have a platform
first, some kind of related fame?  Do publishers want to see that you've
published in mags before they spend time and coin on your work?  Can
performing at readings and open mikes help in any way?  As it happens, I
was kinda sorta quasi-famous in Seattle back in the mid-90's, but I
can't say that anyone remembers those poems now, although they drew fine

--Bill

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"