[stylist] Myths of publishing - & contact info for a publishing

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Nov 10 14:37:56 UTC 2014

Hi you all,

The text below comes from an email that was sent to me (I think this company
searches out writing related groups:

***

We firmly believe the information below will clearly help you to make a more
informed decision as you look to take the next step in your writing career
and to reach the publishing AND marketing goals you have set for yourself.

To Your Success.

____________________

Given the many questions and confusions about the state of having a book
published and marketed today, I have tried to clear up some misconceptions
that I seem to run into so regularly. I hope you will find the content below
helpful.

It is a fact, and has been our experience for some time now, that unless you
are 'well known' in publishing circles already; or unless you are 'famous',
a name 'traditional publisher' will not agree to look at your work at all.

Before beginning, for those of you who still hold that you may still find
that traditional publishing entry, we certainly would never discourage you
from continuing to look and we wish you well. You are always welcome for
information from me regardless.

I would be happy to hear from those of who have questions or general
comments about the information below. My contact information, both e-mail
and phone, can be found at the end of this letter.

Now to the information that may help you in your quest for the right
publishing/marketing relationship; a publishing/marketing situation that
works for you.

The Myths of Publishing and Marketing That Are Still Alive Today

1. If my book is good enough, a name 'traditional publisher' will easily
take it over for full publishing and marketing without any cost to me.

False: We know of no name publisher that will even look. Even when they were
still looking, there were often lengthy delays at every turn; rewrites
required and all without a guarantee of any contract forthcoming.

2. If I choose the self publishing route is that just Vanity Publishing?

False. The term 'vanity' came to be when authors who were rejected by
several name traditional publishers then went ahead on their own out of pure
'vanity' to be published in spite of the rejections, by doing everything
themselves.

If a name 'traditional' publisher won't look at your work obviously you
can't be rejected. The term 'Vanity Publishing' itself is long outdated.

3. The term 'self publishing' today is still viewed the same as 'vanity
publishing' of years past. Is this still true?

False: Self publishing then meant the author again had been rejected from
name publishers and still went ahead and did everything from editing,
putting the book together and printing copies locally himself or herself.

Self publishing today does not mean what it has in the past. Today it just
means an author understands that he/she will need to take on a partner who
can help them publish their work and in that way build a book sales platform

that may be noticed by the name publisher they seek or in some way lead to a
traditional style publishing contract. These new and very valuable
relationships are the only way we know to advance a writing career at this
time.

4. Today's definition of publishing means, as it has in the past, publishing
AND marketing both automatically when an offer to publish materializes.

False: The key for emerging authors today is to fully explore how much
marketing, if any, is included in any publishing relationship. Nothing is
more important to the success of any author than the marketing component.

There are lots of publishing options with virtually no marketing available.

5. Is there anyone who can both publish and market my book?.

True:Yes  The critical key however, is what you see above: Marketing;
Marketing;

                 Marketing.  You have to find the best combination of both
publishing and

                 marketing at the lowest cost, and with a publisher that
stands behind what

                 they promise if you want to be successful.

We know the markets and the players.

You now have some insight as to some of the realities in today's publishing

environment.  I hope some of it is helpful.

Talk to publishers and ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS, ESPECIALLY ABOUT MARKETING.
That is

the only way to find the information you will need to make the best decision
for you.

I would love to hear from you with comments and questions about publishing
and/or

marketing at any time.

Thank you for allowing me to share this information with you.

If you ever need help getting published with marketing support and need more

information, please reply to me and I will be more than happy to respond.

If you respond to this letter as to its helpfulness to you, for better or
for worse, you will,

if you ever work with me, receive a very substantial promotional package.

If you would like a free evaluation of your book, please contact me at the
e-mail above.

Kind regards,

Tom

Acquisitions Team Leader

Strategic Book Publishing & Right Agency, LLC  (SBPRA)

Email:  <mailto:TomW at sbpra.net> TomW at sbpra.net

Phone: 1-888-808-6190; Int'l.  1-667-308-8086

8am to 4pm (Eastern Standard Time) weekdays

To STOP further emails please RETURN THIS EMAIL WITH   OPT OUT   IN THE
SUBJECT LINE