[stylist] Helen Kobek's book - Bookshare format not ideal

EJ Kobek ejkobek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:38:45 UTC 2014

Hi, everyone,

I've checked out (and also heard from people) that the Bookshare version of
my book is not ideal. Specifically, many chapters have enumerated bullets
which are not read with the daisy, or displayed with the BRF. The hundreds
of practical strategies, for example, are all numbered in the print
version, but do not appear numbered in the Booskahre version. With the BRF,
each item shows as italicized and bolded (accurately represented - it's
that way in print), so a BRF reader could see how these items are
separated, but still not numbered. I know this is a problem, particularly
with the daisy file, as it's important to be able to know when one idea
ends and the next begins.

I'm writing mainly to acknowledge this, and to say that I've contacted
Bookshare to see if there is a technological solution for this problem. If
there is one, I will most definitely let everyone know. I know that people
are getting through it with Bookshare and I appreciate the effort, and I am
truly sorry for the kinks in this, hoping it can be resolved so it's fully
accessible. I'll let everyone know.

So if you're looking at the BRF, know that bold/italics means "new idea" or
new item on a list. If you're reading with daisy, just listen for a new
idea....I'm hearing from daisy readers that it's still worth reading, just
not so obvious...Thanks for hanging in on this....hopefully good news will
be coming.

BTW, if anyone has any tips for this issue, I'd love to know....

Best regards,

Helen Kobek

Author: Everyday Cruelty: How to Deal with Its Effects without Denial,
Bitterness, or Despair