[stylist] Poem - "Paper Minds" - Second Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:15:23 UTC 2014

Hi Jackie,

There's a longish story about the Sophie quote.  It's not from any book
or show, it comes from my life.  I used to live in a house owned by a
woman named Betty Jane Narver, something of a legend in Seattle and
truly a great, great lady.  She owned a German shepard named Sophie, who
was a hilarious character.  We used to do all sorts of stunts and games
which involved Sophie.  For instance, I'd sort of straddle her, grab her
collar and say in a kind of generic cowboy accent, ","I'm gonna ride
this doggie all over this great  land!"  We played a scene called
"Sophie's Choice", in which I informed Sophie that she would have to
give up her crunchies for zee Fatherland.  Finally, I would put my arms
around her neck and cry in a kind of catchall foreign accent, "Oh
Sophie, whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"  The funny thing about
this is that Sophie would respond with a piteous whine, clearly
distressed about de devoured cheeldren in question. I've spent maybe
years trying to find the ideal quote for my signature and I finally
think I've found my favorite.  Thanks for asking!

--Bill

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"