[stylist] Cruising, Thanksgiving and a poem

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Wed Nov 26 18:28:50 UTC 2014

Cheryl,
Such an active and positive role you have for the blind. Though I am no
longer able to take advantage of travel, I look back wistfully at my last
cruise when I asked to take one of their menus home with me. This is what it
inspired. You have my permission to use it in any way that might drum up
business. Let me know what you think and if or how you might use it.
The spellings and items are right off the menu. Great fun to do.
I will cut and paste for the list, for I think most do not read my poems as
an attachment, but for you, Cheryl, the attachment should have the line
lengths as written. Keep in mind, that if you do not use it, I must know so
I am free to submit it elsewhere.
Have a happy holiday to everyone and enjoy your feasts as much as I did with
this menu.

Jacqueline Williams                           #2
1431 W. 7th Place                                           Humorous
Mesa, AZ 85201                                              Oblivion-a la
Mode
jackieleepoet at cox.net
480-834-1782

Oblivion-a la Mode
            After Wallace Stevens

About to be transported around the world
inspired by food alone, the cruise ship steward seats me.
My healthful choices will embody a new me.

In morning oatmeal-walnuts, raisins, vanilla soy milk,
cinnamon, and brown sugar-become just one.

Among my super healthful foods, blueberries,
in a tart, snow cloud on top.
The only moving thing-sweet dripping coulis.

For lunch-Cognac and whipped cream whirled into
tomato bisque-lycopenes supreme.

I am of "King Salmon" mind.
Seared, the omega 3s seep into
three mounds of parslied potatoes.

I do not know which to prefer for my red fruit-
chilled berry-cumin yogurt or cherries jubilee,
jaconde biscuit alize or strawberry cheesecake.
Raspberry ice cream beckons-just after.

Batons of steamed vegetables fill my view.
Moody crab cakes lie in wait.
Ah, yes, citrus caramel soya sauce
now crosses them to and fro.
The bliss of my healthful pursuit comforts me.

Oh, thin women of my age,
why do you image size 6 gowns?
Do you not see the Baked Alaska
being served around the table?

(stanza break)

I know the hallowed fiber

in whole grains. But I know also
that calcium is involved
in bastoncini with polenta
covered well in Fontana cheese sauce.

When pear honey gratin and apricot dartose

fly from my plate, it marks the transition
to a more ample me.

At the sight of noble greens, I rejoice-
artichoke and heart of palm, sun-dried tomatoes.
"More balsamic walnut oil dressing, please."
Even the waiter gasps sharply.

Anticipating spinach turnovers
nestled in pastry puffs,
I hesitate when I see asparagus
baked in rich egg custard topped with cheese.
Mistakenly, I order both.

The food is blurring.
The seams are separating.

This evening, seafood sausages and seafood croustade
coated in saffron sauce resting on a bed of rice pilaf,
will sit on my hips, my tum, my bum, my limbs-
a Titanic sunken below the waves of fat-forever.

Jackie

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz