[stylist] Cruising, Thanksgiving and a poem

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:21:26 UTC 2014

HI Jackie,

It was fun to read this poem with an eye towards discovering how it
takes some of its breath from Wallace Stevens.  And I see it especially
in the "thin women" line, as in Stevens's "O think men of Haddam...",
and with the tasty imagery of the rest of the poem.  A very pleasant read!

--Bill

On 11/26/2014 10:28 AM, Jackie Williams via stylist wrote:
> Cheryl,
> Such an active and positive role you have for the blind. Though I am no
> longer able to take advantage of travel, I look back wistfully at my last
> cruise when I asked to take one of their menus home with me. This is what it
> inspired. You have my permission to use it in any way that might drum up
> business. Let me know what you think and if or how you might use it.
> The spellings and items are right off the menu. Great fun to do.
> I will cut and paste for the list, for I think most do not read my poems as
> an attachment, but for you, Cheryl, the attachment should have the line
> lengths as written. Keep in mind, that if you do not use it, I must know so
> I am free to submit it elsewhere.
> Have a happy holiday to everyone and enjoy your feasts as much as I did with
> this menu.
>
> Jacqueline Williams                           #2
> 1431 W. 7th Place                                           Humorous
> Mesa, AZ 85201                                              Oblivion-a la
> Mode
> jackieleepoet at cox.net
> 480-834-1782
>
> Oblivion-a la Mode
>              After Wallace Stevens
>
> About to be transported around the world
> inspired by food alone, the cruise ship steward seats me.
> My healthful choices will embody a new me.
>
> In morning oatmeal-walnuts, raisins, vanilla soy milk,
> cinnamon, and brown sugar-become just one.
>
> Among my super healthful foods, blueberries,
> in a tart, snow cloud on top.
> The only moving thing-sweet dripping coulis.
>
> For lunch-Cognac and whipped cream whirled into
> tomato bisque-lycopenes supreme.
>
> I am of "King Salmon" mind.
> Seared, the omega 3s seep into
> three mounds of parslied potatoes.
>
> I do not know which to prefer for my red fruit-
> chilled berry-cumin yogurt or cherries jubilee,
> jaconde biscuit alize or strawberry cheesecake.
> Raspberry ice cream beckons-just after.
>
> Batons of steamed vegetables fill my view.
> Moody crab cakes lie in wait.
> Ah, yes, citrus caramel soya sauce
> now crosses them to and fro.
> The bliss of my healthful pursuit comforts me.
>
> Oh, thin women of my age,
> why do you image size 6 gowns?
> Do you not see the Baked Alaska
> being served around the table?
>

> (stanza break)
>
> I know the hallowed fiber
>
> in whole grains. But I know also
> that calcium is involved
> in bastoncini with polenta
> covered well in Fontana cheese sauce.
>
> When pear honey gratin and apricot dartose
>
> fly from my plate, it marks the transition
> to a more ample me.
>
> At the sight of noble greens, I rejoice-
> artichoke and heart of palm, sun-dried tomatoes.
> "More balsamic walnut oil dressing, please."
> Even the waiter gasps sharply.
>
> Anticipating spinach turnovers
> nestled in pastry puffs,
> [...]

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"