[stylist] Inquiry about not being sure?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:02:20 UTC 2015

Michael,

First, what does near blind mean? In my opinion, blind is blind, regardless
of level of vision, if any. Lots of labels exist for people with visual
impairments, but I believe, as does the Federation, that these labels often
create a hierarchy of blindness, typically inferring those with some vision
are better off than those with no vision. I'm not offended or feel you mean
anything by this, but I just think the labels do more harm than good and
rarely accurately describe blindness.

Second, we all have different experiences with disability. How we view it
and the world around us can vary greatly. There are a lot of variables that
go into this, and at the end of the day, it's about reaching acceptance and
a positive attitude about our disability, or at least to be on that journey.
Personally, I do not like or use the term handicap. I feel it's outdated,
has negative conotations and the originally reason as to why that term
developed harkens to a time when disabled people were considered incapable
and not able to do much more than sit on corners asking for hand-outs.
Having said that, lots of people still use the term, and for me, it depends
on how it is used, but personally, I think we need to update this term.
Simply disabled works, or I like to use the term, differently able, as a
blind person with training in alternative skills, there is little I can not
do, I just might do it in a slightly different way at times, smile.

Third, on Stylist, we are all able to post what we write and ask for
feedback. Twenty pages is long, but some of us would take the time to read
and provide constructive criticism. So feel free to share anything you
write.

I will always provide honest feedback when asked. Usually, in creative
writing, you leave content alone unless plot or structure does not make
sense just because we are not suppose to judge subject matter but what works
or does not work, but if you specifically want subject matter analyzed, some
of us will give you honest feedback.

Bridgit