[stylist] could anyone read this please?

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 04:21:11 UTC 2015

Hi All,
I have to write a newspaper book review on the memoir that I read
for school.  I have almost two weeks to do it.  Because I didn't
particularly care for my book, I decided to write a negative
review.  (And yes, despite the fact that I enjoy using British
spelling this review is strictly American).  It seems like many
newspaper reviews just rave about how absolutely AMAZING a book
is.  It doesn't matter to me that you haven't read the book, I am
just looking for structural suggesttions.  I am also more than
happy to clarify anything about what I have written.  What I have
written below is just a very rough draft from a book review
beginner.
Thank you for all suggesttions.
Vejas
Immigrant by Sally Bennett
When I found out that I had to read a memoir, I decided that I
wanted to read one about someone from another country.  Learning
about other cultures has always been an interest of mine.  I was
very excited to find that this author was from England, because I
have always been interested in everything about the UK, such as
its culture and its differences in language compared with
American English.
The author, Sally Bennett, was born in 1932 in Yorkshire,
England.  She then moved to Spain at age 1 because  her mother
had an affair with an American man named Jack Pratt, who was
living there at the time.  After a while they moved to Portugal.
While in Portugal, Sally gained a little sister, and her
stepfather left the family.  Sally, her mother and sister moved
to Portugal, and then to Georgia in the United States, then later
back to Portugal, the UK and finally back to the US, this time in
Virginia, where she finished high school.  She has been living in
America ever since.
As one might assume, Sally's life was far from a party.  She only
very occasionally had a chance to see her father in England, and
her relationship with her mother, who was not the most maternal
of women, was not helped by the oblious cultural divide that came
with growing up in two countries-even ones with the same
language.  She says of her general experience as an immigrant: "I
understand the immigrant's seemingly perverse longing for a place
called home, a siren song that often precludes creating a happier
life in new surroundings.  The familiar voices, customs, and
landscape set down in infancy seem normal and right.  Whatever
comes later, after language allows us to shape our world,
determines the course of our lives, but our emotions are forever
washed in these earliest impressions." (3).
I do not know if I would recommend this book to anyone.  While
Sally Bennett's family history is interesting, the book lacks
lots of cultural detail, and the writing is a bit banal.
However, the writer cannot be blamed completely for this.  While
she definitely could have focused more on the differences between
growing up in England versus growing up in America, she herself
did not receive the most culturally diverse experience.  Her life
in England, limited to short breaks with her father and a very
small period living with her mother, did not give her much time
to really experience culture.  While she lived in Portugal for a
rather long time, her family always mingled with the English
expat community, and the book fails to mention anything about
Portugese or Spanish culture, which may have been something she
never bothered to care about while there.  Another thing to keep
in mind about this book is that the author was born in 1932 and
the book was just published in 2013.  While the mind of an
81-year-old can still be sharp, she will not have the vivid
memories that she would still have had in her twenties and
thirties.
Another aspect of the book that really did not sit well with me
is that there are two chapters in which Sally's mother, Sylvia,
is portrayed in the third-person narrative as a teenage girl.
While I have a great relationship with my parents and know quite
a lot about their families, I would not know enough about their
school lives in order to accurately write two chapters about them
as teenagers, especially if my parents were not alive for me to
ask them any questions that come up.  This must mean that, while
some of the foundation material for these chapters is accurate,
much of it was just added detail which the author created as
fillers.  One very particularly  unrealistic character
description in these chapters is that of Grace, Sylvia's best
friend while attending boarding school during the Victorian era.
The author never says the exact words, but it is implied by the
ones she does use that Grace is gay.  Grace would often openly
tell her best friend Sylvia, "I love you." As we now live in a
time when people are finding it hard to come out and even commit
suicide because of it, it seems strange that a girl in 1900 will
be so open about her feelings.
Do I regret reading this book? No; I did find the story of
Sally's family interesting and the few bits of cultural
differences enticing.  Therefore, I shall leave it up to the
reader of this review to decide whether or not this book is worth
their time.