[stylist] could anyone read this please?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:00:50 UTC 2015

Vejas,

The following quote should be a block quote:
the same language.  She says of her general experience as an immigrant: "I
understand the immigrant's seemingly perverse longing for a place called
home, a siren song that often precludes creating a happier life in new
surroundings.  The familiar voices, customs, and landscape set down in
infancy seem normal and right.  Whatever comes later, after language allows
us to shape our world, determines the course of our lives, but our emotions
are forever washed in these earliest impressions." (3).

Also, at end of quote, you need a comma instead of period with period at end
of citation. And what style are you suppose to use? MLA?

Beginning here, need paragraph break: Another thing to keep in mind about
this book is that the author was born in 1932

I disagree that writing a memoir decades after events have happened equates
to a writer not being able to accurately recall memories or that those
memories are not sharp. Unless she was diagnosed with a condition affecting
her ability to remember, I don't think people forget life events. Most
people writing memoirs write them years, decades after events have occurred.

You mention the author creating a third person account of her mother's past
as a teenager. While I have not read this book, many creative nonfiction
writers use this conceit when constructing memoirs and personal essays. It's
called conjecture and perfectly okay to do in this type of nonfiction
writing. Using different POV's, creating scenes, using dialogue, using
conjecture-- all this is acceptable in memoir writing. You may not care for
this, but playing and experimenting with structure, form and content is a
stylistic choice. I would be more analytical and address this in terms of
creative writing as opposed to a personal opinion about content.

In fact, I would focus more on analyzing the writing, address specifics
about voice, style, form, etc. instead of just saying what you liked and did
not like about the book based solely on subject matter, I. E. the author's
life.

Despite homosexuality being illegal during the Victorian era and not
acceptable at all, people did express homosexual desires, and some
point-blank lived openly as a homosexual. People may also have been vague
about being gay, but those close to them may have known or at least guessed.
If the author believed her best friend was gay, I'm not sure why you doubt
this. I've read lots of books from this era, fiction and nonfiction, that
address this issue. Maybe not always in blunt terms, but it is addressed, or
at least hinted at. Just like today, people tried to keep it hidden, but
often they expressed it in ways that were vague enough to make people doubt,
but it was expressed nonetheless.

Your writing is sound, but as I said, I would dig deeper into analyzing the
writing in conjunction with comments about subject matter. When reviewing,
you usually tread lightly when criticizing subject matter itself. Instead,
you tend to focus on style, voice, POV, structure, what worked and did not
work based in writing terms. To focus and criticize content is to basically
criticize the events of the memoirist's life. Basically, don't judge the
events but how the events are portrayed.

Bridgit