[stylist] Old Blind Mikes Famous Canoe Challenge!

Robert Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sat Apr 4 18:52:42 UTC 2015

Mike

I also read your piece. And in general, you are a good and funny story
teller. And as I saw Chris's comments, he makes a couple of good ones, the
same as I intended to make prior to seeing his take on this. And that is: If
you were to clearly make this piece reflect that it was one of those "ahHuh"
moments, where you finally realized you needed to learn blindness skills to
help you function when your sight was not good enough, then I could endorse
it as a great and funny learning piece.

So yeah...we within the NFB really do try and educate the world in general,
that blindness is workable and for those of us with some vision, that we can
do better than the old McGoo image.

Again, as a writer, you have talent. And I super appreciate you taking the
time and being open enough with us to share this piece; you, being somewhat
nervous about how we'd react to how you portrayed yourself, the blind guy.

You know where this would be a great story to be read? In a training center
for the blind. Having the students read and discuss it. It would lead up to
be a great philosophical discussion. In fact...may I share this with a
training center or two?