[stylist] do any other writers ever feel like this?

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:58:36 UTC 2015

Vejas,
I certainly feel bad about harming any of my characters. One of the blind
teenage girls in my novel gets badly hurt at the hands of some bullies in
her class. It was based on a real story and I used it to point out a problem
some blind people have had with resentment among their sighted peers when
they achieve something. Still, I felt horrible about doing it. I also think
in future books that, due to the nature of the adventure, some good people
may get killed, and I'm not happy about that either.

I think it's a normal thing. Yes, the characters are fictional, but it's
real live people that read our work and are attracted to and identify with
certain characters, so they feel the loss when a character is harmed. Life
and fiction rarely have only blue skies.

The ability to create a character and plot that has an emotional impact on
the reader is one of the most important things, IMO,  that makes a piece of
fiction great. Caring about the character is a sign that the author is truly
invested in the process. The fall-out of actually feeling bad when that
character is compromised in some way is part of the burden of the writer, so
you're definetly not alone.
Donna