[stylist] Writing exercise: creative nonfiction- Life Lessons

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Aug 2 22:23:42 UTC 2015

Bridgit,
Wow! What an interwoven tale of conflict and contrast, laced with
perfectionism. This is a brave bit of insight into what moved and motivated
your formative years.
I am not primarily a fiction or memoire writer, so my technical knowledge is
limited. I do like the change in point of view, and the contrast it
provides. It gives validity to the whip-saw effect of a mother who demanded
perfection in two quite opposite models of motherhood. The dancer who was
lithe and full of grace and beauty, but was a servant to the old-fashioned
model of motherhood, household skills, and pleasing her man, no matter the
cost.
Your language serves this bit of growing up very well, for it pin points the
conflicting emotions questioning who you were.
I am so glad you took up the prompt which did include short fiction or short
memoire.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.