[stylist] Jackie's special things prompt

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Aug 3 14:41:40 UTC 2015

Hi Barbara,
This poem stayed with me after I read it last night - I kept thinking of it
during the night and again this morning. I think it is because it is a world
that I am not at all aware of, in my own childhood.   It is a plaintive
cry - as each new quatrain begins with a  sing-song refrain, a  kind of
feeling about the "dolls."  Dolls are not at all a part of my childhood
experience but they sure were in my sister's life.  My sister and I do not
even come from the same planet, I once told her.

>From the poem's beginning there is a tension between loving and holding onto
the dolls, and a feeling of guilt or impending punishment for loving the
dolls.  Loneliness and insecurity are overcome by clinging to the little
dolls.  I have a feeling of sadness as I read this.  I think you did a
really good job of expressing your innermost thoughts in this poem and it is
something many people can relate to.   For me, it would never have been a
doll as I never liked dolls - I ran barefoot, climbed trees, planted seeds
for flowers all around the house and made roads fro my trucks in my father's
gardens, and played games with the neighborhood kids, even was in "cat
fights" at times with them.  Reading was my solace as well.  Every evening
our mother read us stories before we went to bed - and I did that with my
household of children later on in life, as well. Summertime included  trips
to the public library with my mother and new books to read on the front
porch glider.

This poem made me ask myself what it was that I held dearest as a child, and
what I found my personal happiness  - and I would say it was in nature.  I
was always off on little excursions by myself - swimming in the creek, ice
skating on the creek in winter, looking for snakes and frogs, and riding my
bicycle for miles and miles, and walking down railroad tracks for miles and
putting coins on the tracks and waiting for the trains to come by and smash
them. .  In my home we ran free and it was my "normal" to be alone and out
exploring  wherever I wanted to be. I think I had a glorious childhood, knew
I was loved, and felt very secure in my young life.  The poet Nikki Giovanni
wrote a fabulous poem about her childhood  *The Kidnap Poem) and she speaks
of her childhood and how when you become famous, they never talk about how
happy you were.
(Here is the link to this wonderful poem if you would like to read it:
http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/poetry/giovanni_nikki.html#kidnap .
Lynda