[stylist] writer or write not

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Wed Aug 5 14:16:18 UTC 2015

Eva,
What you say is so true. I felt drawn into a circle of caring people who
protected me from feeling isolated and even guilty though I could only
speculate  on the reasons why.
Now, I am encouraged to keep participating and will know that my, sometime,
off the wall thoughts will not offend. I sometimes over-react to extended
religious or political tomes, and want to respond in kind. but again, I
realize  that comes from childhood conditioning and is always something to
be tested, questioned and to me, that is the time to write a poem or a story
about it.
In this mode, one can truly understand the value, motive, and the deep
feelings about one's belief system without feeling "preached " to about it,
or the built-in judgementalism.
And so I am cutting and pasting in a poem I have just entered in the League
of Minnesota contest. A first in sharing something that has not been
published before, because I trust all of you.

7.  Helen Papas Memorial Award			Jacqueline Williams
1431 W. 7th Pl.
								Mesa, AZ
85201

jackieleepoet at cox.net
								Nonmember of
LOMP

An Ever-present Past

Strange that I became your mother in my teens
until I was a mother to my own.
Though miles away and years apart, I never cut the cord.
Not many knew I lived through you
and felt that I could do as well as you in art and poetry,
if I could find the key I thought you'd left for me.

I came to be the slow and measured child.
I was your trusted friend, and dreamed with you-
your lap, my haven in our house of disarray.
Held tight, you painted with your other hand,
made me a part of your creations.
I turned away from stirrings in my youth.
With talents running wild, I knew a competition could ensue.

You had your way at home with all the dangers, joys and its birdsongs.
I did not shed my daughterhood. I fumbled for a way
to share your crumbling life by being there  in later years.
Your last deluded nightmare caused a pain I can't forget.

I keep you close remembering the ride, the moving in and out-
a boat that seeks the shore in some wild tide.
Your recitations, as a poet with no sight,  brought gasps.
One hand would grasp the finger of the other,  prod each line
until a stanza was complete. Your memory tool.

They say I must let go and auction off your photographs,
the paintings, written words, the thoughts that only you could know
about yourself-and still unread or said by me.

Mother, my guide, for months I stroked the velvet of your face.
Now I find no place to hide or fill your space.
I slept on your couch, the one you did not want to leave at night.
I cannot exorcise the memory of your final fight
when you felt exiled to the bedroom where your terrors laid in wait.

(stanza break)
As one of three inheritors, I am the keeper of your name.

"They" do not know the time it takes to heal an amputated limb.
With your life gone to me, will I be able to exist alone?
Will I be me without the you I knew, or just another name?

I must reject your saintly brother saying you would go to Hell.
I will not tolerate the ones who preached to you-not knowing you-
a grain of sand, the irritant to family who would isolate you well.
A rare pearl grew in the oyster shell of your home's cold hell.

In life, no one could buy or sell your need. In death,
you do belong to us, no auctioneer, no highest bidder for the self
you left to me. I only trust the ones who shed an honest tear.

Now I write and read and write becoming strong-
directing  life, and so I finally understand
why no one thing diverted you from your applause.
No pain or disappointment hides from self
intent on dissipating all and finding cause.
>From paper, pen, how can a wonderment of thought stay hidden long.

No doubt you look down from a potpourri of clouds, the blue, and say,
 "You know, at last, the dangers, joys, and sounds of my birdsongs."

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz