[stylist] my memoir piece, "Faye"

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:24:42 UTC 2015

That's the challenge of a memoirist-- what do you share, and what do you
keep to yourself. Generally, those who write memoirs and personal essays
believe everything should be on the menu in terms of writing, but
personally, it's difficult. Writing what I did about my mom and our
relationship, it's difficult, and I've wrote about it before, but if my mom
ever read any of it, she would not be pleased. A memoirist tries to be
honest and transparent but it's difficult. And even divulging things about
myself can be very difficult. I'm not an open-book person, and yet I chose
to become a memoirist-- what can I say, I'm a complex person, smile. Often
nonfiction writers will change names and even circumstances to maintain
anonymity, but it can still be difficult to share so much. I will say that
if people want to be rude or mean or shallow in any way, don't expect a lot
of protection when people write about you, LOL!

But as a fiction writer, you can take your real life and use it for
inspiration and even character development. Usually great fiction is
inspired by real people and life, even genre fiction like fantasy and SciFi,
smile.

Bridgit