[stylist] Watch those typos

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 18 20:02:57 UTC 2015

Good day, list members.

I wanted to remind all of us that there are errors that can crop up in our
writing that can catch us off guard even when we think we have thoroughly
checked for spelling and grammar.  These are the pesky typographical errors,
when we have typed a word that is grammatically correct and spelled
correctly but not what we intended.  I was discussing language funnies with
my mom by email and even today found some left out words and a spelling
error I didn't catch in a paragraph on this subject that I have revised and
included for this message.

One common error I find on the web is transposing form and from, but there
are other funny things that can happen with our language.  I was looking
through the baseball transaction and injury list on one site the other night
and found a couple such funnies.  Someone who had a pinched nerve was
described as having a punched nerve.  There were also the hamstring or quad
stain instead of strain.  I even heard the National Weather Service radio
broadcast yesterday speak of storm treats instead of threats.  This would
really be humorous around Halloween, wouldn't it?

So let's all try to keep an eye and ear out for this.

Bill Outman

---