[stylist] Looking for ideas on good children's books

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:07:25 UTC 2015

The Christian undertones are not as noticeable if not a Christian or exposed
to Christian beliefs. But even children raised Christian may not notice just
because kids think differently than adults. And quite frankly, even for a
children's series, Narnia has some more complicated, deeper Christian
theology that not all adults realize either. But to be fair, let's not
forget that Lewis, much like Tolkien, also employed myth and Anglo-Saxon
story archetypes to tell a story. There's a word, and I can't think of it,
but it's an Irish word, but it's basically when you use Celtic archetypes to
express Christian views. Lewis did this with Narnia for sure.

And as I have said before, the biggest reason I'm no longer a Narnia fan is
that I find the characters flat, lacking complexity, so as an adult, it no
longer keeps my attention.

I only re-read books that truly speak to me, that inspire me, and there are
not many I re-read. Wuthering Heights and American Gods are two I re-read
from time-to-time. Great Expectations is another.

Bridgit