[stylist] curious-would this be too confusing?

Semirhage severus13 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 03:06:30 UTC 2015

I'
d say when you're writing, especially if you are self publishing, it's your
call. I have seen famous authors under big publishers switch from one
character's 3rd person to another character's first person in the same book.
It's different characters, not the same one  switching persons, of course. I
have done this in one book as well. Also in the series we're working on now,
it's also about a family. It tells the mom's story first and that particular
character chooses to speak in first person when she writes. Then the 2nd
book is her daughter when she's grown and she is 3rd person because that's
what feels right for that book. It shouldn't confuse as it's another book
entirely especially as different characters have done as much in one single
book. Of course with a publisher different editors will tell you different
things, and it's their preference, no right answer.
Sem