[stylist] another character question

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 13:59:56 UTC 2015

Hi Vejas,

Firstly, I really like the idea of writing a book series with each book
having a different style, if you will. Sure, not everyone will like that,
just as some people want a bologna sandwich every day for lunch. Me, I like
to mix it up.
Hey, let's sneak out and go to McDonalds--and then they get into a fender
bender. And so on.

Good luck.

Chris

As for your female protagonist getting into trouble--my main thought is that
ifyour idea of trouble is playing your cell phone too loud or reading when
you aren't supposed to--you must be a parent's dream kid!

Seriously, except for fighting, your ideas are pretty mild as far as trouble
goes.And, the way you quickly portrayed your character, I can't really see
her getting into a fight, either. Since she is essentially a very good
person, the trouble has to come from her making a bad decision. And, it has
to be believable. The first thing that comes to my mind is that a handsome,
charming boy starts sitting next to her in some class. He's nice to her,
maybe jokes with her a little, and she develops a little crush on him. Then,
one day he asks her for a favor. Maybe it's to see her paper on 'To Kill A
Mockingbird' because he just doesn't have any idea how to write his own
paper. Maybe it's to take a look at her geometry homework, because he's
having trouble with it. So, she lets him see her paper, or homework, and
unbeknownst to her, he copies it and turns it in. The teacher notices the
papers are identical, and they both get caught for cheating. Now that's
trouble, and it's understandable. She didn't really cheat, but she made a
bad decision, and now there are consequences.

That's just one idea. Use your imagination and I'm sure you can think up
others. They have to fit with her character to be believable, though. And
peer pressure is a catalyst for a lot of trouble during the teenage years.
And it doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol. The band kids all say--hey,
let's cover principal Robbin's car with shaving crème! And she goes along.