[stylist] Poem: Measles

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Feb 2 21:15:05 UTC 2015

I know an older couple and one of their children has five children.  The
oldest two have autism so they chose not to vaccinate the younger ones and
they are fine.  For only this reason do I agree with not vaccinating.
Though I do not believe that vaccines cause autism, there may be something
in the DNA that makes the problem when they mix.  Since we knew something
was up with our kids upon first seeing them, when the doctor said the
translated records showed them up-to-date on their shots, we chose not to
redo them.  We refused that new HPV or whatever that one for STD is because
if they get it, someone needs a law suit filed against them.  We also choose
not to do flu shots, and this year is the first year we got the flu.  We
refuse them because when the twins were little they had setbacks for a month
or so after the shots and we decided it wasn't worth it.  I can't have the
flu shot due to yolk allergy.
And yet, I do see why we should have them because I have a cousin whose
little girl cannot get the MMR because of her health issues so if kids
around her don't get them, they could get her sick.
Being a parent of autistic children, I see both sides of the issue.

The poem is cute.
Barbara

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.--Robert Frost