[stylist] I would appreciate your help

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 4 14:46:11 UTC 2015

Bridget,

I found your comments very interesting, especially this:
*and we both sighed inwardly because on weekends, we like to try
to just be together as a family. Guess we are becoming recluses in our
dotage, LOL!*

It's this that I'm interested in.  The social pressure to go out and the
feelings that staying in is not just as valid a use of your time.   I don't
want to read more into your words than you meant.  the inward sigh indicated
to me a need to prepare yourself to disappoint the other person.  Your use
of the word recluse suggests to me that you feel staying home is the
inferior option.

I'd rather stay at home or go for a walk by myself to contemplate, than go
to a bar.   I think I might rather have a root canal than go to a bar, but
it'd be a close call!  There is a lot of expectation to have a lot of
friends, have extensive social networks, go to business networking events
and the like.  I absolutely hate those business networking events where you
are expected to have drinks, mingle and extoled your virtues to prospective
employers.  It feels very fake to me.  I made a huge leap forward in my
personal happiness and authenticity when I decided that networking events
sucked and I wasn't going to do them anymore.  There are better ways for me
to make those connections.  Ways that work for me, feel right and are more
productive. But professionals in the field of career development or job
placement would probably have a stroke if I said that to them.  It's not
what they teach.

Anyway it's just another example of how social expectation clashes with the
needs and strengths of the introvert personality type.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com