[stylist] Wondering if anyone has thoughts on blindness andindependant vacation travel?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 12:19:41 UTC 2015

I do a load of planning in advance.  Seriously, my family thinks I'm
nutters!  I look up restaurants with Urban Spoon.  I prebook all my day
trips.  I pick things that include transportation or I negotiate
transportation when I book the excursion.  an example, when I hired a local
lady to take my son and I clam digging, I negotiated the price to include
her picking us up at the B&B.   I found local cab companies in advance and
emailed them to check on prices and secretly to make sure they were still in
business.  I put everything in a 3 ring binder that goes with me...all the
tickets, schedules, phone numbers etc.  I'm obsessive about the planning.
It's worked out really well.

To clarify...usually when I go on vacation, it is with my sighted son.  He
doesn't drive and has only recently learned to reliably read maps and follow
complicated directions.  on the rare occasions I go on vacations with my
sighted husband, I still do all the same planning.    My husband has very
little experience with travel, does not drive in big cities and becomes
overwhelmed with a lot of new things at once.  He has some mental health
issues that he struggles with.  So when we travel together, I have to be way
on top of the agenda,  so everything goes smoothly and he doesn't panic.

Honestly though, what I've found is that it's not particularly difficult to
arrange all the transportation and guides.  A lot of people fly in and don't
want to rent a car, so they are utilizing cabs or tour buses that pick up at
their hotel.  It's pretty typical for people to want to hire tour guides to
take them around, showing them the good stuff.  They adapt pretty easily
when you explain the specific information that you would find most
interesting/helpful.  After all they are used to explaining the history or
telling stories,, so it's only a small change for them to describe things
visually too.

Hope you have lots of fun!
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com