[stylist] A Strange Little Poem

Ishamael Moridin ishamael13 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:20:30 UTC 2015

Thank you guys, appreciate all the welcomes. I did want to share a small
bit of poetry with you that has a strange back story in my eyes. For a
while it was an effort to write it out and somewhat embarrassing to try
and publish it anywhere, or even read it in our local poetry group.
Although the right kind of rhyme and the philosophical concept came to
me at once, the application of choice was less desirable.  Having
English as my third language, I am normally very happy whenever I come
up with any bit of poetry and proudly stand behind my work. This case
was a little different though.

For some odd reason unknown to me, the Muse forced a very inconvenient
form to express itself. Even though I am not religiously minded, all the
verses had to use Biblical parallels. I don't mind that kind of poetry
used by others of course, but I did not like that kind of strange
inspiration coming out of...me. It seemed to have challenged the
standards I expected of myself. Fortunately by then I already knew that
for me resisting various sources of inspiration could have unexpected
results in other areas where I express myself creatively. My philosophy
is this: block one venue of creativity and others may be blocked too,
embrace the flow of creativity and it accompanies you everywhere.

So not wishing to deny the Muse, I finally chose this forum with
encouraging members to write it down. Not that I ever had any doubt that
it was all about me coming to terms with an uncomfortable self
expression, but it still is somehow easier to do it here where I didn't
have the courage previously. And now, without further ado, here goes the
piece in question.

The Taskmaster

A harsh taskmaster Laban is
He never agrees to my pleas,
"By our contract you will abide,
 From responsibility you will not hide"
If I had but a restful day,
I would continue toiling away,

But of the sheep I grow weary,
With every moment sad and dreary,
It's not the bargain I regret,
Over the fairness do I fret,

The man expects of me too much,
And I will not allow such,
No longer will I work,
Nor can we amiably talk,
Frankly, Laban is a jerk.

With my plan Rachel should agree,
Even Leah's objections I don't foresee,
I will prevail, he will see,
A shame that Laban is the same as me.

 From the inside to enslave me he seeks,
Of arrogance and false beliefs he reeks,
What should be done,
How to do it well,
With need to control he may swell.

I recognize that wretched part,