[stylist] Poem - "Admirals" - Firstish Draft

Finefrock, Melissa mel.finefrock at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:38:56 UTC 2015

Hi, Bill,

I totally do the same thing with my own poetry. I freewrite a lot and tend
to finish with the lucky first draft, but every once in a while, there's a
poem that just drives me nuts because it doesn't seem quite right. Sometimes
I just wait a few days and then find that all the clarification that was
needed in order to make it a stronger piece was an actually simple adverb.
As to your poem in particular, I hadn't responded yet because I've been
giving it some thought and deciding what it means for me (still am; some
pieces do that). I think the abrupt-ish ending might not work for some, but
it might work for others. Poetry is weird like that, sometimes, despite my
loving it. So, in the end, you'll just have to decide what works for you, I
think ... and waiting for the paint to dry, as you so keenly put it, should
help with that decision. There's nothing wrong with micropoetry, though, to
be sure. Sometimes some of my poems are no longer than seven lines, but they
are by no means incomplete, save maybe in the eyes of an individual who
enjoys longer, epic-style poems.  But sometimes a lot can be said in a few
words. Good luck!

Mel