[stylist] electronic books

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:22:27 UTC 2015

Vejas,
I always check BARD first, as their recordings are done by professionals.
Yes, you subscribe, but it's absolutely free and once you get the
application approved, there's no annual re-upping or anything. It's just
free for anyone with a print disability. I use the recorded BARD books, but
they do have refreshable Braille - I don't have a BRF reader though,.

I also subscribe to Bookshare, and often get a Bookshare text version even
if I read the BARD version. If I have to write a book review or want to
double-check something, using the FS reader on my PC is the best way to
check punctuation, exact quotes, spelling, that sort of thing.

I also have a subscription to Learning Ally, which sometimes has academic
things not available elsewhere.

There is an online digital library you should keep in mind for the future
which has a vast collection. It's called Scribd, but it isn't accessible at
the moment. NFB recently sued them and the judge ruled in favor of the NFB.
There are other steps to completing the legal process, however, so I don't
know exactly when they will get around to becoming accessible. I did some
consulting on the case for the law firm working for the NFB, so if they
continue to keep me in the loop, I'll let you know when things change.
HTH,
Donna