[stylist] advice ab switching from PC+Jaws to tablet for writing?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 18:07:32 UTC 2015

I don't know much about word processing with tablets. I know many have this
kind of function though. The Apple tablets are fully accessible. I can't
really speak to other brands. I currently only use my IPad for entertainment
purposes-- movies, books, music, apps, etc.-- but I have also considered
looking into using it with an external keyboard for writing. I'm considering
jumping ship with PC's altogether and using Macs, though I want to learn
more about the products. I only use an IPad and IPhone right now. Not sure
what writing on a Mac would be like compared to a PC.

Another option is a netbook laptop. I love netbooks. They are perfect for
writers and don't cost anymore than most tablets. I had a Toshiba netbook I
loved, but my husband spilled juice all over the keyboard, frown. I have an
Acer right now, and I don't care for it as much, but it works. Netbooks are
PC laptops on a small size. I believe mine weighs 2 pounds. My Toshiba had
as much battery life and RAM as a laptop. My Acer, not as much, but works
for what I need it for. They turn on and off much quicker than laptops too.
You can install screenreaders on them-- I use JAWS, and I'm sure you can
install magnification software too. And of course, you can install MS Office
and use Word, which I prefer. The keyboard is smaller, which I don't have
problems with but something to keep in mind. It has all the same keys as
most laptops, just compact. And it's very portable. My Toshiba was a little
more expensive, I believe it was around $500, but my Acer was $250, which is
the cost of a 16 gig IPad.

For writers, netbooks are great. A computer programmer, maybe not so much,
grin. But it's another option to consider.

And also, you can install MS Office and Word on an IPad or Mac if you really
wanted too.

Bridgit