[stylist] Romance and Appeal of faraway Places

Semirhage severus13 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 01:29:39 UTC 2015

I missed the witch burnings, but when I l;I've in the South I had people
pushing religion at me all the time, talking strangers in malls, and
assuming I was gonna burn in their hell because I was wearing a crystal
[pendant, thought god created earth and all its minerals, HAHA, or a wizard
or fairy or dragon pendant with my long flowing dress. Sort of felt
assaulted. LOL.
And I missed other red neck West Coast comments, but I didn't say it was red
neck country. Just that there were more there than expected. Far less than
in the south, obviously, but still more than I expected and the contrast was
sharp. Like when I was doing medical massage right outside of LA a couple
came in and the husband was going to get his massage first then the wife,
but she freaked out at my picture of Merlin on the wall and asked if I knew
him. Of course I blinked a few times while trying to figure out how to
politely and professionally answer crazy lady but she goes ahead,
thankfully, and explains how she and her husband mystically met him when
they were into Wicca and how he was a very bad entity and now they['ve found
god again and whatever so they could not enjoy a therapeutic massage in an
establishment who had a picture of Merlin on the wall. I then attempted to
calmly explain that he is often a fantasy icon but historically, where my
interests lay, was quite likely a druidic adviser to a war lord perhaps
named Arter. She wasn't feelin' it.
Another  time, again right side of LA, we and some friends are coming home
from Ren Fair and we're dressed as wizards. Flowing robes with moons and
stars on and pointed matching hats. Our friend Thomas needs to dash quick
into best buy and grab something. We go in with him because it's hot outside
and we're in long robes, and though they are silk, it's still hot as they're
long sleeved. The workers didn't say a word to us, but got all hush hush and
were about to call the cops to have us escorted out because we were weirding
them out. Doing nothing but looking around while we waited for our friend to
buy his thing. Hm. LOL. Again surprising.
Once when wearing pirate hats some lady approaches us in OR and wants to
know what those are. When we explain Pirate hats she acts as though we're
talking gibberish. She had no accent other than American. Was really
persistent about wanting to know though we did try to answer her a few
times, and no she did not appear hard of hearing, just not to comprehend
pirates in the least. LOL. So I finally had to say she needed to step off.
Back down. Go away... And that also baffled her. LOL.
Also in OR ,not far from northern CA, we are wearing long dusters with the
flared out mantel. there good against wind and rain, both prevalent in the
area at times. Some people stop and ask us, one woman, again no accent or
seeming problem in the lead, what our coats are for. Hm? I blink.Think for a
moment and say...um to keep wind and rain and cold out, perhaps? Granted
they did each sport 3 inch striking awesome wizard broaches, but she didn't
ask about them wizards, so go figure. HAHA. She said I didn't have to be a,
and II quote, 'Smart Ass.' I blink again. What other way was there to answer
an intrusive rude question but with facts. LOL.
We have neat hand carved steampunk looking wooden glasses and once at a gem
and mineral show in OR, a lady asked me and I quote, "What's that on your
face."
LOL. They have round lenses. they are obviously glasses, just the frames are
carved wood. Mine happened to have a feather mask design as I designed them
and the guy I paid carved them. Butt obviously glasses. Most people
complimented them. I love your glasses. Where did you get them? That's the
thing I was used to. Not what's that on your face. Dude, glasses? I just
stared at her and kept moving. Sometimes it's the only thing to do else you
dumb yourself down playing with them. lOL.
I recently was shopping in a tourist type store in OR and I do like bats so
I'm wearing a huge Lily Munster bat pendant and a hat I designed that's sort
of dressy with a silver bat on the front/brim and lace streamers hanging
down in the back with dangling bat charms on. She asked me when we're paying
if I like bats. Um No. LOL.
In the South I was used to that sort of dumb from a lot of people, of course
not saying all or anything, as I have friends anda family there, but on the
West  Coast it is more surprising/jarring. And the redneck bike obsession
and how everyone can't breath without having their dog with them, even if
the dog is barking and miserable about being shut in a car  or in the heat
or whatever...But everywhere has its weirdnesses.
Sem