[stylist] Spiders and snakes and bats....

EvaMarie Sanchez 3rdeyeonly at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:14:10 UTC 2015

Bridget, and all, I am not saying that we cannot speak of spirituality or
religion at all. I am saying that we need to tread lightly. The reply I had
for Sem would not have been offensive to her and perhaps it would not have
been to you Bridget, but it would have totally offended others. I see no
reason to try to offend people who might have sensitivities. Period.
And yes, people have been offended and insulted in past by things that were
said on Stylist. For a long time, we had lost a lot of traffic because of
it and have only been getting our activity levels up within the last year.
What may be fine for one person, may not be for another. We do want to
continue the education and inspiration that feeds our craft, but we do not
need to nor should we attempt to have educational religious studies here on
Stylist. There are list serves for that.
As for chakras and Totems, I do not entirely connect them with a religion,
but I could definitely see someone having issues with them in regards to
their own religion that does not incorportte them.  And again, there was
nothing wrong with the conversation that was taking place, but a
misunderstanding was brewing that would have crossed that line.
As for your example of other spiritual discussions being tolerated... Well,
prayer is invoked in public places all of the time though there is supposed
to be a seperation of church and state. But still, that is prayer that is
accepted by the masses. For example, look up what happened when a Wiccan
High Priestess gave the invocation at the opening of legislation in Iowa.
 So I am sorry if the suggestion to not offend is restricting, but I prefer
we write with respect and feel sad to say that not everyone is capable of
doing so. If you feel that you are, then have at it. But remember that
everyone else may not agree with your perception of abilities. And I have
no desire to become as restrictive as some of those other list serves out
there, but I also want to assure that we continue to have diverse
participation.
Eve

 President, National Federation of the Blind Northern Arizona
President, National Federation of the Blind Writers' Division
Committee Chair, Arizona Association of Guide Dog Users
Affiliate Member, National Federation of the Blind Legislative Committee
Affiliate Member, National Federation of the Blind Membership Committee
Member, Slate & Style Editing Team

"You do not need to have vision to see the stars."