[stylist] Writing List Trends

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 06:03:22 UTC 2015

I've been on this list for eight years, and in that time, about 90% of the
post are not directly related to writing. But I think it's also an
opportunity for people throughout the Division to get to know one another
better. And also, as has been pointed out before, by several people, some
topics and threads can help us become better writers as we learn about the
world and about new concepts and ideas. For instance, one, I find any kind
of analytical study and discussion helps me as a writer and editor, and two,
the thread about spiritualism has helped me with a particular story I've
been working on for a while. Now, I agree, we can have more balance and do
more related directly to writing, but for me anyway, I don't mind off-topic
threads, and I will also point out that if it weren't for a handful of
people, if even that, and mostly Bill as of late, we would not have much to
discuss on the list. Very few are posting work for us to read, and those who
do, it tends to be mostly poetry lately. And from time-to-time someone
provides some good information or resources, but this is not a daily or even
weekly occurrence. I think all things in moderation, but we seem to have
this very conversation every few months about off-topic threads, and here we
are, bringing it up again... So, and I say this with all sincerity and
respect, perhaps if any of us have problems with certain post not writing
related, they need to post about writing in some shape or form themselves.
In order for change to happen, an action must be made, and quitting or going
silent or signing off completely are not actions affecting change.

Bridgit