[stylist] book publishing questions

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:06:57 UTC 2015

Sarah,
If you are writing fiction and you have never been published, getting an
agent is the only way (short of having an "in") to get the attention of a
major or mid-level publisher. You have to find an interested agent who must
then pitch your book to a publisher. Generally, nowadays, the contracts have
a cancelation clause if a specified number of books aren't sold within the
first six or nine months. If you get an advance, you may have to pay most or
all of it back, if the goals aren't met.

Depending on your priorities for getting published, self-publishing is
definitely a quicker alternative. See Smashwords for getting eBooks in a
multitude of formats distributed to most of the major eBook venues, and see
Create Space for paperbacks.

Amazon owns Create Space as well as Kindle Direct Publishing, but they have
several ways to post books on their site, whether or not you use these
services. They also are affiliated with Audible and have ACX, which allows
indie authors to team up with readers to create a recorded version of the
book to be sold through Audible.

Prices for paperbacks are set by the venue based upon the number of pages,
whether you have interior pictures, the type of paper, etc. Ebook venues
generally give you a range of price options to pick from.

If you self-publish, you will have to write a book description (I think
Smashwords requires 2: one about 400 characters and one 4,000). Online
venues each have their own criteria. If you go with a publisher, they may do
this for you, but you will still be expected to do most of the legwork for
promoting it (a difference in the industry since the self-publishing
industry has grown so much).

As for accessibility ... As you probably know, things change a lot in the
digital world and not always for the better. I used Create Space, Kindle
Direct Publishing, Smashwords & Nook Press to publish my novel The Heart of
Applebutter Hill. I wouldn't have had to use Nook Press, as Smashwords does
distribute to Barnes & Noble if your manuscript is approved for advanced
distribution, as mine was. My only excuses are that I am apparently a
glutton for punishment and that I am a slave to my own curiosity.

All of the sites had reasonable though not complete accessibility. Most of
the issues were minor, but they can stop you in your tracks as much as a
major issue. I was successful, as other writers on this list have also been,
at properly formatting my manuscript for Smashwords. I tweeked that version
for Kindle and Nook Press, and I have updated all versions using Jaws and
whatever guidelines are appropriate. I almost had the print manuscript right
for Create Space but suffered a burn-out and ended up hiring them to do the
interior, which cost $375-ish.

The other thing you will need to do if you self-publish is a cover. I had a
concept for which my hubby took pictures. We then went to a local graphics
designer who overlaid the pictures and added text, using a formatted blank
downloaded from CS, based on the number of pages, trim size and type of
paper I chose. Create Space also has some free templates you can use either
with or without a personalized picture, and a way to do it online, which I
can't speak to accessibilitywise.

There are other companies, and some on this list have used Lulu, so I would
advise Googling these sites and reading some of the many blogs which
discuss/review them. Best of luck, and let us know how it works out.
HTH,
Donna
http://DonnaWHill.com
ApplebutterHill at gmail.com