[stylist] book publishing questions

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jul 31 18:16:18 UTC 2015

Sarah,

I self published a book through Amazon Kindle.  I did need sighted help to
get it set up.   I was able to sign up for the account and get the book
ready, but while most of the process of uploading the book was accessible,
not everything was.   It could also be that I'm using JAWS 12, which is
older.   Perhaps a newer version would have done better.

You set your own price with Kindle.   The fees associated with sales vary
depending on the price you set for your book.  You can also change the price
in different countries, although I'm remembering this was one of the things
that wasn't accessible.

The thing with self publishing is that you also are self marketing.   If
you're good with that, then go for it.   The other big drawback is that
Amazon has a bad habit of changing how they pay, especially with their  KDP
select or whatever they are calling it now.  It used to be if someone
downloaded your book with KDP, you got your KDP portion.  Now your payment
is related to how much the person reads of your book.

On my never ending to-do list  I am looking into other options for self
publishing.  I'd like to sell it directly, but that requires a lot of
technical set up. In the long run, I think it would be more profitable and
accessible.

HTH
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC