[stylist] Weekly Writing Challenge

Semirhage severus13 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 07:55:50 UTC 2015

Here's mine, and I need no critique, as it's just for fun.
Very neat idea, BTW, Rowena, and thanks for sharing. Thanks to my RP I write
daily, but this topic one is very neat. Here goes.

Title: Girlfriend
By Semirhage

I'm not one to generally listen to people's conversations, but the couple
sitting right beside me in the coffee shop were very close. Their table
nearly touching mine, and it was very easy to hear them. The fact their
conversation was interesting and amusing didn't hurt either. I couldn't help
but agree with the first speaker. She spoke of the nonsensical wide spread
social habit of using the term girlfriend' when speaking of a mere female
friend that she was not involved with as in dating. She said that it was
socially confusing. She'd even accidentally asked a woman out, assuming she
was gay, when she mentioned having gone somewhere with her Girlfriend
Brenda, who she no longer spoke to. The woman explained that she was
straight and that Brenda had only been a female friend. The woman asked why
she didn't just say her friend Brenda then, and that it was confusing. That
there was no reason to mention that Brenda was a girl when the name made it
rather obvious. The other woman now speaks up, laughing and saying that it
was just a social convention. The first woman, in fact her girlfriend for
real, asked why and the second could not answer. The first said that if the
were speaking of one another, as they were actually gay and dating, the term
girlfriend would be proper but not if she was speaking of a straight woman.
Especially as two straight men don't refer to one another as my boyfriend
Jim or Bob. The 2nd woman said that she did refer to her straight friends as
her girlfriends, and the two could never agree as to if it was confusing or
not to do so.