[stylist] Test

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:54:18 UTC 2015

Sem,

In addition to networking with other blind writers, Stylist also, at least
it use to be, a forum where writers could post material for feedback, share
publishing and writing news and strengthen writing skills through writing
exercises. In recent years, we have grown lax about these endeavors, other
than networking, but I miss when we did more writing-related things.

To an extent, I agree with you about poetry. But at university, the program
I was in was a workshop environment, meaning we wrote, shared it with peers
in class and we all had to provide constructive criticism. I was in the
fiction and creative nonfiction tracks, but we all had to take fundamental
classes about each genre including a beginning workshop in each genre. Some
classmates were brutal about their critiques, as were many instructors,
others were more positive, but personally, I learned so much in the workshop
structure. Grant it, we also learned how to critique writing as well. It
goes way beyond saying you merely liked it or did not like it. You learn to
address form and structure, voice and style, and all that good stuff.
Poetry, having very definite forms and structures, actually requires a lot
of mechanical critique along with more abstract critique about subject
matter. So I think with a proper balance, it's a good thing for poets to
receive feedback about their work.

Any creative endeavor should flow from the heart and mind, but there's
always a mechanical side to it whether it be art, writing, music, acting,
etc. It's finding the balance between the creativity and mechanics.

Bridgit