[stylist] FW: keeping poems, for Robert, Bridgit, Lynda, and Barbara, others

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:43:06 UTC 2015

Jackie,

Based on my research and what I have been told by my past writing profs, all who are published writers along with many working as editors, a group like Stylist is considered an online writing group, and therefore, any material posted is not considered as being published. However, as Lynda points out, some contest and publications may not want to accept work that has been posted online even if not considered as being published. The best rule is to research and read all guidelines for contest and publications.

Any group intended as a source for sharing and critiqueing peer writing, whether it in person or online, is not deemed as publishing. The intent is to help writers strengthen their craft. But again, particularly if an online group, some may not want work that is or has been floating around on the internet.

However, as mentioned before, if posting material on a website or social media page like Facebook or Twitter, your work would be consider as being previously published. These sites are not for workshop settings but purely for sharing, even if comments can be made about writing posted.

The group Robert shared your writing with, I believe, was the Nebraska senior division. I'm sure your work has not been shared outside the group, nor is it in any way a writing group. Nebraska has no state division of the Writer's Division or any writing-based group associated with the NFB or any other blind organization, that I'm aware of as a fellow Nebraskan. If I remember correctly, Robert wanted to share your work as an inspirational thing. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else, but I think this is accurate. Regardless, you really have no need to worry if you shared your writing with Robert and the NE senior division, or whatever group he shared it with. This should have no bearing on your ability to submit it to a contest or publication, unless someone posted it online without your permission.

As for the Writers' writing contest, it would be up to the Division board to establish contest guidelines, and currently, there's nothing against submitting material for the contest that has previously been posted on Stylist. If the Division wants to make changes regarding this, they need to do so and reflect it in the guidelines, but currently, there's nothing against it. Likewise, there's nothing in the Slate & Style guidelines against this either.

Bridgit