[stylist] poem revisions

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:27:57 UTC 2015

HI Barbara,

I make a kind of game out of my revisions.  Sometimes, I'll just cruise
through my poetry folder ("Cosmos") and rnandomly give a once over to
one or even several poems; just eyeball them to see how I feel days,
weeks or months after first writing them. Gradually, over time, all of
myh poems get at least minor revisions, and over the long haul they all
get at least two or three overhauls.  I've adopted a kind of joyful
bloodymindedness about it all, so there's not even a twinge of pain
about doing this, and I feel that my poetry in general really does
improve with time.  I used to be very squeamish and protective about my
stuff, and had a real case of the horrors when it came to editing.  But
now I really enjoy the process  and my work in general has, I feel,
improved. My advice is to keep in mind that Word documents (or
Wordperfect or what have you) exist in order to be revised.  It's so
easy to delete, and almost as easy to rewrite, to commit new thoughts to
the page that there's no reason to sufferthrough the process.  Just
remember that hope springs eternal --and so does poetry.  >grin<

--Bill