[stylist] poem revisions

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 17:22:40 UTC 2015

Hey Barbara,

As you already know, it doesn't matter how you keep track. Personally, I
don't think of something as finished until it's finished. I've revised
stories several times over several years, and the last version is the one I
think of as the story. I always save previous versions, just in case, but I
rarely ever go back to them.

Now, having said that, I don't count what I write. I know I've written 2
novels, and maybe 60 short stories and 25 or so personal essays, but I don't
keep track. I bring this up because I'm assuming you do count. So if it
makes you feel better counting the revised stories--go ahead. But, if in
your gut you feel like you're cheating, then don't. Either way, you're
writing, you're working on your craft, and that's what's important.

Chris