[stylist] Poem - "Pool" - Second Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 04:36:51 UTC 2015

Hi Poets and Scribes,

Here's my effort for today.  It came as a great relief because I hadn't
been able to write a single poem for about two weeks, and that always
makes me feel a bit plugged up and nauseated--I'm betting you know the
feeling.  This ones about our little rubber swimming pool, just
purchased last week.  I recently wrote another poem about water and I'm
thinking of combining these two plus a third, if I can come up with one,
and calling it "Three Poems about Water".  I've always been impressed
with Margaret Atwood's great cycle, "Five Poems about Dolls", and lowly
scribbler that I might be, I aspire to be accounted, some day, as
belonging in the same solar system as Ms. Atwood, even if out there
somewhere in the Oort Cloud, LOL.

--Bill

---

*Pool*

Twelve feet by three our pool:deep

enough for a leisurely dunk or even a dive

if our splash is not too radical, ecstatic

in feeling if not in form.But today,

late afternoon, I lean over and bring the cooling

earthjuice up, waxing baboon mad and shaking

my hair free of drench, rinsed in the living wet,

sweat and chill drops from red self raining

onto brown grass praying escape

from the harsh, the stiff and scowling drought

without whose face the summer grace of sun

would ape the other months and by them blandness cry.

And so I burn with joy, and salve myself with washings cool,

and nominate to pauper sea, our ocean toy, our pool.

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"