[stylist] Poem - "Pool" - Second Draft

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 06:08:37 UTC 2015

Cute. Love Margaret Atwood.

Bridgit

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of William L
Houts via stylist
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:37 PM
To: Writer's Division Mailing List
Cc: William L Houts
Subject: [stylist] Poem - "Pool" - Second Draft

Hi Poets and Scribes,

Here's my effort for today.  It came as a great relief because I hadn't been
able to write a single poem for about two weeks, and that always makes me
feel a bit plugged up and nauseated--I'm betting you know the feeling.  This
ones about our little rubber swimming pool, just purchased last week.  I
recently wrote another poem about water and I'm thinking of combining these
two plus a third, if I can come up with one, and calling it "Three Poems
about Water".  I've always been impressed with Margaret Atwood's great
cycle, "Five Poems about Dolls", and lowly scribbler that I might be, I
aspire to be accounted, some day, as belonging in the same solar system as
Ms. Atwood, even if out there somewhere in the Oort Cloud, LOL.

--Bill

---

*Pool*

Twelve feet by three our pool:deep

enough for a leisurely dunk or even a dive

if our splash is not too radical, ecstatic

in feeling if not in form.But today,

late afternoon, I lean over and bring the cooling

earthjuice up, waxing baboon mad and shaking

my hair free of drench, rinsed in the living wet,

sweat and chill drops from red self raining

onto brown grass praying escape

from the harsh, the stiff and scowling drought

without whose face the summer grace of sun

would ape the other months and by them blandness cry.

And so I burn with joy, and salve myself with washings cool,

and nominate to pauper sea, our ocean toy, our pool.

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"