[stylist] Grad School Programs

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Mon Oct 26 22:18:22 UTC 2015

There is a major difference in the two degrees. The MFA is a terminal
degree, the MA is not.
If you plan on going into teaching for a tenure track position, then the MFA
makes sense - as you cannot even apply to a university without the terminal
degree in hand. If you don't plan to be teaching in higher ed, then you can
go for the MA and it will  most likely get you to where you might want to
be. If you have the MA, and you then decide you want in higher ed, you will
then go for your Ph.D and must have it in hand to apply to those programs.
Competition is beyond stiff, but you must already know that.  I believe you
need to make a thoughtful and clear decision as to where you see yourself
working and then make your choice. I wish you the very best, Kaley.  Lynda