[stylist] Self Publishing and Insecurity

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:32:49 UTC 2015

Thea,

First, just so you know, self-publishing is not typically all that lucrative. If you're looking to make a lot of money, it won't likely happen with self-publishing. If all you want is to publish your work, then self-publishing would be a great avenue for you.

Also, lots of poorly written material is out there. So you never know what will happen when seeking traditional publishing. I'm in no way saying your writing is poor, my only point is that lots of people get published traditionally, and the quality of writing doesn't always have a bearing on things. So if you're a really good writer, you may stand even a better chance of being published traditionally. Honestly, you never know until you try. And sometimes it just takes finding the right publisher. It took J. K. Rowling seven years to find a publisher willing to take a chance on Harry Potter, and I would not say Rowling is a bad writer. So like most things, it can take time.

Several people on Stylist have had great experiences with self-publishing. Donna Hill in particular would be a great person to connect with.

Good luck.

Bridgit