[stylist] Writing and product options

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:55:43 UTC 2016

Sarah,

Congrats on the job. That's exciting.

I've always used a small laptop computer and prefer this for most my work. You can use tablets with keyboards now that are compact too, which is something I've been looking into for a while. I've had my problems with computers, who hasn't, but not to the point that I would not recommend one if that works for you. I have not used a notetaker in years, but I've always preferred my laptop over notetakers. But this just depends on what tech you're used too.

As for taking interviews, it's really what's comfortable for you and convenient for you. Lots of writers record interviews, which is nice if you need to go back for direct quotes, but many write notes. Again, I have used a computer for this. And since I use a netbook laptop, it's lightweight and compact, so not awkward and cumbersome to take with me. If I were sighted, I would just use pen and notebook, but this is not an option for me anymore. If you're a Braille user, you could write in Braille, something I would also do, but I am a slow Braille reader, so it's more efficient for me to use another medium for note taking.

If doing quicker interviews, writing down works well, but if conducting a more in-depth interview, just recording is nice because you can just focus on the interview. Ultimately, it's up to you though.

Bridgit