[stylist] Hindsight story with some revisions

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:58:45 UTC 2016

Dialogue needs to be its own paragraph. Each time a different character
speaks, it needs to be its own para. And a lot of your paragraphs need to be
broken up into two or more paras.

You have a lot of telling and reported scenes, but flesh out where you can
create more scenes, more immediate action.

The dream sequence is a good way to describe how Kelley wants to be normal
and heroic, but keep in mind how non-linear and weird dreams are. Dreams
don't happen the way life happens in reality. They are spotty, images with
little rhyme and reason, often symbolic instead of realistic. Also, the
language used for the mom in the dream is stilted and not believable.
Whether in a dream or real life, but particularly in a dream, a person who
not speak like that, especially in that situation.

Do you mean to spell Kelley's name K E L L E Y? I've seen various ways of
spelling this name, but never with an E before the Y. Not a problem, just
checking though.

Why do you use exclamation marks when Kelley's mom wakes her up? She
wouldn't shout at her to wake up. Exclamation marks should be used sparingly
in creative writing, and only when something is truly an exclamatory
statement. I've gone back and noticed you use exclamation marks frequently,
especially with dialogue that's not an exclamatory statement. I really find
no places in this where an exclamation mark is necessary.

When something typically contained within quotes is in quotes, such as
dialogue, you use apostrophes around them instead of quotes, so in the
beginning when the teacher refers to, "today's reading of chapter one of
'Dare To Dream.'"

You use dialogue tags a lot. If the dialogue indicates the speaker, a tag is
not necessary. Likewise, when two people are speaking, we do not need tags
indicating who is speaking because we know from the back and forth who each
dialogue is attributed too. If more than two speakers, then tags will need
to be used more regularly. But when, for example, the teacher speaks and
says something like class or get out your assignment, you do not need a tag.

It's also curious that you always place the tags at the beginning of
dialogue instead of the end, which is the usual way. Reason for this?

In the line, "Kelley decided on the pink pair, and her parents smiled with
aprovement." I think you mean approval, and it has two P's.

What does this sentence mean? "Their eyes locked still at each other." This
is also not grammatically correct.

The moment in the office with Dr. Gonzales is good. I like the image of
Kelley in the chair, uncomfortable, with " pressed her forehead and chin
against a metal white sphere opening with a chin mold."
Need a comma between metal and white, and I would switch these two words
around so it's white, metal.

Why the switch in tense in the following? Eyes blinking fast, Kelley
occasionally saw a bright red flashing dot, and quickly pressed a button
notifying the dot she saw.  A half an hour later, with heavy eyelids opening
and closing, they closed for a long time while she slept. Waiting in Dr.
Gonzales's sterall  )should be spelled sterol) white hospital office, {tense
switch{ her parent's eyes squint, sweaty forheads(should be spelled
foreheads)  wrinkle, lower eyelids droop, top teeth gritt(should be spelled
grit)  lower teeth, and hands rapidly shake.
Otherwise, this is a good scene.

Why does Kelley sleep so much?

Still a lot of unnecessary description. The descriptions are well-done, but
a lot does nothing to drive the story along.

Where's Kelley's point of view? We see the parent's reaction but not
Kelley's. We see her go about school and the appointment, but we have no
response from her about what is happening.

Bridgit