[stylist] Hindsight story with some revisions

Shelley Alongi salongi712 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 00:14:07 UTC 2016

Hello Jennifer,

Check the spelling of Dr.Glence as it appears spelled different ways in the text. I noticed this because when I was publishing my book I noticed the spelling 01 name was different and so I had to go and check all the spellings to make sure they were the same. I suppose this is why we edit our work so many times.

The other thing you want to watch for is sentence construction. A very good example of this is in the dream sequence when Kelley is a lifeguard one sentence states when the mother is expressing her gratefulness "rescued her son's life."The sentence can be written "rescued her son. "We already understand that she rescued his life. Normally rescued and life aren't use the same sentence when what was rescued was her son there are many sentence constructions like this and also another thing that shows up in the sentence construction is that incorrect use of grammar. The sentences are constructed in both the present and past tense which is very confusing. Sentence construction and use of grammar are the things that make the story almost unreadable. Many other things have been covered that will help make the story flow more smoothly. I would say before even going any further with your story that you look at the grammar and correct all the sentences. This action alone will smooth you're writing significantly. An example of a sentence that is constructed in this way is the one at the very end when the parents weep loudly. You are telling the story it seems from the past so a better construction would be wept loudly. Check your tenses to make sure they are correct.

It does look are working on making descriptions shorter. I do have one question. What is the point of having a description at the beginning of what objects are on the teachers desk? Do you refer back to this at any time? Is there something significant about this? It almost reads like the setting for a movie. When you describe for example what she is wearing it is almost as if you are writing this for someone who is creating a costume for a character in a movie. In a movie this is all important so that the people writing the script can help coordinate it and get it correct on the screen. If I am sitting down and reading a story and I come across a description of what she is wearing it distracts my attention from the story. Maybe that's just me but many times description is very difficult to work with him it takes a lot of practice to get it right. I like to know what people are wearin but not in such detail. Maybe it is just my personal preference. There is a lot more that can be said on the subject but I will leave it for now. Description is good don't avoid it. Just make it shorter and also have it help move the story forward. I know you hear that a lot and there are many schools of thought on that subject.

Over all, if you concentrate on correcting the grammar and us moving out your sentence construction and also putting the tags for the dialogue in the correct order your story will have a much smoother presentation. And, you will naturally cut down on the word count. Good luck. Writing is not easy but it sure can be fun :-)

shelley Queen of Bells out Sent from my iPhone