[stylist] Writing Software

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Tue Jun 14 19:30:36 UTC 2016

With a 200+ page document, its just hard to jump around. Finding the start
of a chapter or section in the middle of the book. Or cutting and pasting
something from one location to another, and then getting back to the first
location... from what I understand, most of the writing software programs
allow these things to be done with ease.

I know Scrivener in particular has many features that I would find extremely
useful for one project or another. For instance, a feature that tracks
individual characters through the book. (I am not writing novels, but for my
business related books this feature could probably link together all the
locations where a particular topic has been discussed, so that I can see
what I have already said and what still needs to be said.) Also there is a
feature that allows you to put bookmarks in locations that need to be
updated in subsequent editions, so that you can easily locate them for
updating. There is another feature that allows you to attach external
research sources to particular locations in your document, so that you can
reach a given part of your document and immediately pull up whatever
research you used for that section.

These types of software programs provide many features that either cannot be
duplicated in Word or cannot be done without a great deal more difficulty.

Sarah