[stylist] Writers' Division May Telephone Gathering - iPhone Talk - members share

Vivian Majors script2scrn at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 01:20:49 UTC 2016

Robert this is Vivian give me a call at 770-875-3277 looking for your number can't wait to talk to you

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, May 24, 2015, 11:20 AM, Robert Leslie Newman via stylist <stylist at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Dear STYLIST Member

(Note to non-Writers' Division member: If you find your way onto the call,
that is okay; we want you there, preferably as a dues paying member, but we
would never embarrass you, or kick you off!

RE: Notice of our May Telephone Gathering- Using Apple's products, members
Share; a benefit of membership

**Contents:

*#1 Information needed to get on the May call

*#2 Members will share knowledge on operating their Apple devices for
communication, research and writing

#3 Reminder to submit to Slate & Style

*#1 Information you need to get onto this month's call:

Date: Sunday evening, May 31st

(Another way to get on, communicate with a member and ask for the info to
join us on this call! True, please!)

If you are a member in good standing, having your dues paid up to date, then
you will have received another of these notices in your inbox, which will
have the phone number and access codes to get on the call. Or, if you are on
STYLIST, the mailing list of the NFB Writers' Division and are interested in
renewing your membership, or are wishing to become a member, write me and we
can get you fixed up with a membership.

Yes, the call will be recorded and placed upon our website.

*#2 During last month's call, members got to discussing what we knew and
used out of the Apple family of phones, Pads and computers. Many of us do
have iPhones, or iPods, and/or iPads, and some Macs. All of us are excited
with what Apple has to offer, and we all enjoy using these devices.

Additionally, all of us are still learning and thirsting for the how, and
what more can these tools do to aid us in life and in writing. The outcome
of our discussion was a collective desire to share what we know with one
another and will make this the topic of our next call; Chelsea Cook will be
our lead. Come with the knowledge that you have to share, and/or come with
the desire to learn.

#3 Slate & Style: Looking to get published? If you are looking for your
first time, or 100th, our very  own magazine is a source of gaining
publishing experience, and a forum for one member to help another on how to
get published. We accept artful stories or poems, and articles on writing.

The spring 2015 mag is filling up and you have until the 31st of this month
to get into our upcoming issue.

Here are the guidelines . we need your stuff, and you need to be published!

SLATE & STYLE GUIDELINES

Slate & Style is a quarterly publication of the National Federation of the
Blind Writers' Division. It is dedicated to writing pursuits such as
literary pieces, resources, and information about various writing styles. A
majority of Slate & Style's contributors are blind, but we welcome
submissions from any contributor. We also accept submissions touching on any
subject matter. We encourage submissions from both experienced and beginning
writers with our goal being to hone our writing craft and share our
thoughts.

Slate & Style accepts short fiction, short creative nonfiction, poetry,
articles discussing and providing tips for various writing styles including
literary, technical, editing, public relations, and academic, literary
criticism, resource information, and book reviews.

Subject matter is not limited but will be up to the editor's discretion to
publish.

Slate & Style accepts material from adults and children. We require email
submissions.

We accept submissions throughout the year. You will receive a prompt
confirmation of the receipt of your submission. All submissions are
considered for publication but not all pieces will be published. We may keep
submissions to be used for later publications. The editing staff may respond
with comments and suggestions, giving contributors an opportunity to
resubmit. We will try our best to get this notice to entrants, if needed,
within two to three weeks after submission. Please give Slate & Style
editors that timeframe before contacting us about a submission.

Though submissions are welcome at all times, if your submission is
specifically about a particular season or time of year and you would like
your submission to appear in that corresponding issue, please read the dates
and submission deadlines below. The approximate issue dates and submission
deadline dates for each issue are as follows:

March 21st---Submissions close February 28th

June 21st---Submissions close May 31st

September 23rd----Submissions close September 2nd

December 21st---Submissions close November30th

Please read through all the guidelines carefully. Submissions that do not
follow these guidelines may not be considered for Slate & Style.

Submission guidelines are as follows:

Length requirements are: articles, 1500 words or less, fiction and
memoir/personal essay, 4000 words or less, book reviews, 1000 words or less,
poetry, 36 lines or less.

Again, send ALL submissions as email attachments no matter the genre.

Include a cover letter along with your submissions with author's name, title
of piece(s) and contact info-phone, email and address included. Also include
a bio with your submission(s). Your bio should be no more than 150 words. Do
not send an entire history, just include key items you feel are important
for readers to know. Send as an attachment as well. More than one submission
is allowed per email but do list all submissions in the required cover
letter.

Send submissions to s-and-s at nfbnet.org <mailto:s-and-s at nfbnet.org>
<mailto:s-and-s at nfbnet.org> Iportant note: you will get a response to your
message. "Thank you for your message to the staff of Slate & Style. This
being primarily a restricted list for communications between S&S staff, a
message from an outside list member needs to be approved before it is
>passed on to us. Sorry for the inconvenience, be assured, we have your
message. You will, super soon hear back from us!"

In the subject line of your email, write: Slate & Style submission, your
name, and number of submissions. Example: "Slate & Style submission, Myrna
Badgerow, 3 submissions".

Use Microsoft Word or create an RTF document for all submissions. No other
formats are accepted, and therefore will not be considered.

Proofread and check your grammar and formatting before submitting.

Slate & Style will consider all submissions for publication. However, please
be careful with graphic sexual and violent content as well as language and
anti-religious, anti-gender, anti-racial and anti-homosexual orientation
content. Characterization and plot often require this type of material, but
it must serve a purpose. Gratuitous material with no purpose or meant only
for derogatory reasons, will not be considered. Material will be published
according to the discretion of the editing staff.

Please direct questions and comments to the email address listed above for
submissions, in your subject line, please include your name and simply

write: "QUESTION". Then write your question in the body of the email.

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

President, NFB Writers' division

Our Division's Website: http://writers.nfb.org

characteristic that defines you or your future.

Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.