[stylist] {Spam?} New member, well old member returning

Tessa puppycat at tbaytel.net
Wed Oct 5 22:46:40 UTC 2016

Hi All
It's been a number of years since I was on this list. I'm glad to be back.

My name is Tessa and I've been writing at least since the early 80's and
telling stories before then.

This has been a very good year for me where writing is concerned. I belong
to the Northwestern Ontario writers workshop one hundred or so members
strong and very active. I've had three pieces published in our NOWW magazine
this year, absolutely amazing.

Every year NOWW runs a writing contest open to anyone. One of the categories
was novel excerpt which we haven't had as a category in the past. I
submitted two pieces and won first and third. I'm still on cloud nine when I
think about that LOL.

I mostly write novels and have about a dozen rough drafts waiting for some
serious polishing. In 2010 I took the NaNoWriMo challenge for the first time
and that piece was my first prize winner, my 2014 NaNoWriMo piece won third.
So, is anyone else doing NaNoWriMo?

For anyone unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo it begins November 1st and the idea is
the write 50,000 words in 30 days. At the moment I'm trying to figure out
just what I'm going to write.

Also, we Canadians now have limited access to bookshare and the incredible
amount of research material available there. I Love it. I just finished
reading Laura Deutsch's book writing from the senses 59 exercises to Ignite
your writing, a terrific exploration of the senses and exercises to
encourage people to think about the things they taste, touch feel and so on,
even as a writer who is blind I appreciated it and will need to read it
again to do the exercises.

I use a braille notetaker for a lot of my writing though in the past I have
used slate and styless on old magazine papers. I still have some of that
stuff but it's so faded I'm not sure it's even readable any more or worth
reading. A local poet told me she had burned all her old work, to me it was
devistating, how could she do that, she said it was liberating, LOL. I
suppose that makes sense, I look at some of my old stuff and cringe.

Anyway just thought I'd say hi.

Tessa