[stylist] Having Friends Read your Work

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Aug 13 12:58:50 UTC 2017

Hello Writing Friends,
At a certain point, we have to share our work only with a friend who is a
writer at the same level as we are.
You want to share your work only with a person who is capable of
explicating  it and who has the capability of discussing the work itself
with you.
I think as you continue on your writing path, those capable friends will
become clear to you. It takes time.  You are a student so you should have
many opportunities for discussions in your English courses. You need
like-minded people to have those discussions with. Also, your professors.
Eventually you will connect with a hand full of people who you can have
discussions with, too.  Reciprocity is a key element - you must also be
working with others and giving them your time as you read their work and
speak with them about it.  Be a giver. Be generous with your  ability to
help another writer in your circle of friends.
I have a couple of other authors with whom I share. I read their work, give
them tips for publication possibilities, etc. They do this for me as well.
Reciprocity works.
Later, you will have connections with editors to speak with and get great
feedback. This is also reciprocity. You want your work published, and they
need good work.
You are a team. Be patient and keep on doing what you already do - write!
Choose who you will share your work with carefully.