[stylist] Critiquing things you don't like?

Tessa puppycat at tbaytel.net
Mon Aug 14 22:33:24 UTC 2017

Thanks all.
Our group is small. Two members submit pieces each month and everyone is expected to comment on them, so we can't really pick and choose what to crit.

The vampire issue I mentioned earlier was submitted and though I don't like vampires still there were some good scenes some funny dialogue and places where I could find good things to say about the piece.

With the novel now being submitted the main character hates everyone and everything and shows this in every word, action and thought. The author has done a very good job of making his character unsimpathetic, and I'm sure we've all told him that, the problem is that it just goes on and on and is mentally draining to read.

The author also writes quite thought provoking science fiction, which can be fairly grim but definitely has some good material. Which I suppose sounds like I'm pretending to be an expert on this stuff, which I'm not, I just know that some things I enjoy and some things are just so darn depressing and demoralizing that it's definitely not my thing.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.
Tessa