[stylist] Critiquing things you don't like?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 21:15:10 UTC 2017

Tessa,

In my undergrad and now in grad school, we are taught to not judge on
subject matter. We may not like a particular topic, but our focus is to
discuss the writing and not if we like a topic or not. There's a lot to
discuss in creative writing that is not subject or directly related to
subject. How is the structure? What is working and not working? What about
characterization and scenic development? Is there a satisfying conclusion?
What about transitions? You can comment on any literary devices used or
pacing and voice. There's a lot to comment on that does not have to involve
your opinion about the subject.

Bridgit