[stylist] Flash fiction-- looking for feedback

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 17:50:51 UTC 2017

Alyssa,

This is just a scene. Flash fiction, while not exceeding 1000 words, has a conclusion with beginning and middle. It also has character development, and we know little about this character other than they are lesbian, vegetarian and hiding both from their family. What is the impetus of this story? What is the arc? There's currently no arc.

Also, I would cut the opening paragraph and jump right into I'm sitting at the dinner table. It's more immediate, and we get that the character is vegetarian and lesbian by what they do. No need for redundancy in the narration.

As is, I'm not interested in this character, but we know little about them. Currently, not enough to make us invest.

Bridgit